Bf 109G a Forced Landing
by Bjørn Jacobsen
Over Europe and the Soviet Union, there was shot down, in air-to-air battle, between 70 and 90.000 aeroplanes during WWII (nobody knows exactly how many).
Regardless of the exact number, it sure was a lot of aeroplanes.
I have been building WWII scale aircraft for many years, but I have never shot down any of them – until now.
Unfortunately, it was a Bf109 Gustav from JG27 which happened to be in my gun sight.
This is perhaps a little unfair because only each 4th plane being shut down was a German plane.
The numbers were actually 16-17.000 German planes against 50-75.000 allied planes, of which most were Russian.
The AAA and Flak casualties are not included in the above numbers. For those who are interested the anti-aircraft-artillery shot down 15–20.000 aircrafts
This was the first diorama I made.
I had no experience at all with dioramas, but I was quite curious and looked at some web sites to get some ideas about how to do this.
First of all, I decided, I needed a base and found an old picture in glass and frame which I thought could do.
On the picture, I put some plaster and sculpted it as the terrain. Then I found an old green mat and glued it on the plaster. The green surface needed of course to be painted and issued with dirt, stones and bushes. The stones, I found in my back yard and the bushes were made of twisting thin wires from the inside of an electrical lamp cable.
I also bought some artificial grass from Woodland Scenics and sprinkled the terrain. For longer grass, I cut some hair from a paint brush and glued it on the ground.
I decided to use a plane I had already made, and the choice fell on the unfortunate Bf109G from JG27. The plane needed to look like it had belly landed in a rough field, and I tore off the wheels, used a candle to heat the propeller and wingtip to bend it, ripped off the flaps on the port side, loosened the tail and wing rudders, opened the hatch on the fuselage port side and made bullet holes in the wings, fuselage and tail.
The plane was then glued to the ground, skid marks were made of plaster and painted, bits and pieces of the plane was left behind the plane and the canopy placed beside the fuselage.
Then I placed the pilot and some German soldiers outside the plane and glued on a Kübelwagen I had made some time ago.
And that was it. To be honest, I was quite satisfied with my first diorama.
When I photographed the diorama, I used a wall decal mounted on cardboard as background. These decals are very useful when taking pictures of models.
As you can see, some of the pictures are in b/w, trying to make it look like an authentic WWII picture.
You will be the judge of this.
An artist’s expression of one of the pictures above
I hope you enjoyed this website! Thank you for visiting!
Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This diorama will be on display at
the new WWII hanger at